Care Workshop – Stockport, Monday 19th March 2018 (flyer)
We run our half day workshops regularly for both the care and design sectors. These workshops explore our research findings on how to activate care setting gardens for residents, and particularly for those living with dementia, so that they can engage meaningfully with the outdoors as and when they choose.
Below you’ll find more information about our open workshops and a list of our planned dates and venues. You’ll also see those regions where we have identified interest in attending so let us know if you would like to come along. We can also run our workshops and presentations ‘in-house’ to suit the needs of your organisation. Scroll down for more information and why not subscribe to our mailing list to be kept up to date? It’s at the bottom of the page.
What we will share with you on these workshops:
- Present a summary of our research journey to find the answer to our question, “Why aren’t care home gardens used more actively?”
- Explore the role and influence of the care home’s cultural practices (including Health and Safety) in aiding or inhibiting more active and meaningful engagement with the outside space.
- List the Top Ten Key Findings from the research, tailored for both care and design sectors.
- Introduce our poster-sized, diagnostic tool, The Care Culture Map, and show how this can help care homes identify their current and anticipated needs for their outside spaces and how outside specialists (i.e. garden designers, horticultural therapists, gardeners) can work cost-effectively and successfully with their care sector clients.
- Produce a handy and easy-to-use Checklist that aims to reduce gimmicks in the garden, infantilising approaches with residents and the risk of turning the outside space into a fixed and unadaptable space.
- Review the relationship between garden designers (and other outside specialists) and care home staff to ensure they deliver what is needed and what will be used and valued. We call this approach, ‘Relationship-Centred Design’.
- All participants receive a discount on the purchase of the Care Culture Map and handbook tool.
For more information about the content of our workshops, click on these links:
“Why Aren’t Care Gardens Used More Actively?” Open workshops for designers, architects and outside space specialists
This is a half-day Workshop for garden designers, landscape architects and other outside specialists to explore the key findings from our major study into why gardens in care settings, particularly for residents with dementia, are not more actively used, even when following the latest design guidance. We introduce a new approach to working with care sector clients called ‘Relationship-Centred Design’ and provide an overview of our new diagnostic tool, The Care Culture Map, that aims to ensure that design support for the gardens around care settings are appropriate and cost effective. £65 per person.
“Why Don’t We Go Into The Garden?” Open Workshops for care sector staff at all levels
This is an innovative, NAPA CPD-accredited (Activities and Social Care) half day Workshop for care home staff at all levels based on the latest research into how outside spaces are used around care settings.It will help identify the reasons why your outside space is not being used to its full potential and will explore cost-effective and sustainable ways to increase engagement levels and create active meaningful outdoor experiences with your residents, and particularly those living with dementia. £65 per person.
Watch this space for our next confirmed open workshops or Contact us to suggest an area where you would like us to run one. Scroll down to see where there is current interest in running an open workshop. If it’s in your region, get in touch to let us know you’d be interested in attending:
LONDON – get in touch to register your interest
Want us to run an open Workshop near you?
If you’d like to attend a Workshop in your region and can’t find one being run near you, get in touch and we’ll investigate the demand locally. If your setting has a room that can fit up to 12 people comfortably, we’ll even offer you a free place if we can use it!
In-house Workshops and Presentations…
We can run our half day Workshop ‘in-house’ for your care setting, care group, design practice or other interested group. For a fixed fee of just £520* we’ll work with up to 12 people in your organisation at a time and place convenient to you. That’s under £45 per delegate.
*plus travel and accommodation, if applicable. Fee is for one trainer. Fee fixed to December 2017. For larger groups or for a workshop or presentation tailored to your needs, contact us for a quotation.